Competitive

Today is the day that the book officially goes on sale (although if we’re honest here, Amazon have been selling it for a while).

Home Front Posters Shire books Susannah Walker front cover

Even so, I thought I’d mark the day with a competition.

So, there are two copies up for grabs here.  One you can win in a simple draw – all you need to do to enter this is either leave a comment here, or follow me on Twitter; for those who follow me already, then just RT my tweet about the competition.

Getting hold of the second requires a bit more skill and discrimination.  This copy will go to the person who sends me (link or image, don’t mind) the best poster I haven’t yet put on the blog.  Here’s my entry.

Leonard Woy You are not paid to take risks Rospa poster 1961

All of this high jinks closes on 5pm on Friday, winners announced on Monday, judges decision firm, fair and final.

This entry was posted in other. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

16 Comments

1. mm
    Posted June 12, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

I think you might have won your own competition! Never seen that one before.

2. Posted June 12, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

For topical value I am opting for this Euro 2012 themed item:

Though you have clearly won outright before the competition even started as mm says.

For overall ‘value’ I would go for this, although I am not certain you haven’t had it on before!
    The typographic worm is simply exquisite.

Best non-poster item by a poster artist (couldn’t resist):

3. crownfolio
    Posted June 12, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Ooh, this is going to be difficult. And no, I haven’t had the Purvis on before, although why I cannot think. God bless, as ever, Mike Ashworth’s photostream. I think I might just move in there one day.

The piece of insanity posted above came from the great RoSPA treasure trove that I mentioned a few weeks ago. They are selling prints of it on their website, although cards and motivational fridge magnets for the coffee room at work would be much better I think.

4. Mikeya
    Posted June 12, 2012 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

Goodness – such kindness – and in time when I find away to turn my photostream into Browsing Gallery Accommodation there will always be a room reserved for you in return for your many excellent Crownfolio posts!

And I suspect now I can hardly enter the competition myself!

5. Posted June 13, 2012 at 8:59 am | Permalink

You have posted some posters by the elusive Ralph Mott but can’t recall if you posted these original poster artworks which offer an insight into the whole process…. etc etc

6. mm
    Posted June 13, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Whilst on the subject of Purvis and birds… I’ve always liked this one…

Nice bit of tension…rather like the ROSPA one you posted recently of the motorcyclist overtaking a car whilst another car appears over the brow of the hill ahead.

7. melanie stirling
    Posted June 14, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

This is a great giveaway,my son loves these ww2 posters :)

8. crownfolio
    Posted June 14, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

I am sure there is something in a far-flung part of your photostream that none of us have even seen yet… Thank you also for the invitation, do let me know when the conversion work has started. It may well be quicker than our pub-to-house project.

9. crownfolio
    Posted June 14, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

ps. Tom Purvis and worms. That could be a whole thesis…

10. Posted June 15, 2012 at 10:05 am | Permalink
  11. Posted June 15, 2012 at 10:14 am | Permalink

BUT…whilst on the Rennart site getting the Pond noticed this
    By Betty Pinney (?) which is rather dandy – even better though by the same artiste is

12. William Burden
    Posted June 15, 2012 at 10:14 am | Permalink

Living in the past, or at least aspiring to look over the post war depression with a pair of rose tinted spectacles, my modern technology does not permit me to offer permemalinks and I am unable to understand how to cut and paste, so I will be unable to offer my suggestion for the best poster. However, in my view it is the pair of Helen McKie posters celebrating the centenary of Waterloo station, issued by the Southern Railway in 1947. All life is shown, and the detail means that a weary traveller can spend many a happy hour whilst waiting for the delayed 8.30 from Bromley. Copies are currently shown in the forthcoming Onslow’s auction, lots 171 and 172, but I fear they are way out of my price league.

Still, maybe I will be lucky with your straightforward draw. You never know.

13. James
    Posted June 15, 2012 at 10:21 am | Permalink

A wonderful production from the Grosvenor school duo “Andrew Power” – Sybil Andrews and Cyril Power. I know it’s advertising a football match… but I think this must be the best bit of artwork inspired by football:

14. James
    Posted June 15, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

…but then anybody with any sense in entering this competition will find a Padden you’ve not yet posted, like this one of Blackpool. http://flickriver.com/groups/1494123@N22/pool/random/

15. James
    Posted June 15, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Permalink
  16. crownfolio
    Posted June 15, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

In there by the skin of your teeth I think!

Much fine stuff there (and Lander also did some very late BR posters with quite a resemblance to the Pond one). I shall cogitate over the weekend and decide which is the most Quad Royally of them all, but thank you all for the amusement it has given me on my sick bed.